Asking for Help

Asking for Help – for Kids

Are you being hurt or abused?

(It could be now or even a long time ago)

Tell your parents or a guardian right away.

What will happen when I tell them?

They will get the right people to help you, to make sure you are safe.

What if I don’t feel safe talking to my parents?

Talk to a trusted adult. This might be another adult in your family, a babysitter, a neighbor, or your teacher, nurse, or social worker.

Do you know someone being hurt or abused?

If someone you know is in danger of being hurt, tell your parents, guardian, or a trusted adult. They will get the help your friend (or brother, sister, cousin) needs.

It’s okay to be nervous or scared when you are talking to an adult about abuse. Any person that you trust will help you get the help and support you need.

Asking for Help – for Adults

Do you know or suspect a child is being abused?

If the child is in immediate danger, call 911.

Has a report been made to the Department of Children & Families?

If no, during normal business hours (8:45am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday) call the DCF office that serves the city or town where the child lives or call the Child at Risk Hotline (1-800-792-5200) at any time. A DCF employee will help you to file a report of abuse or neglect, called a 51A report.

To find out more information about this process, click here.

If yes, and you need additional support, you can contact your local CAC. If you need more information about the 51A process, click here.

For more information about your local CAC, click here. To learn more about child abuse, click here.

Report Child Abuse!

To report suspected child abuse in the State of Tennessee call: 1-877-237-0004.

If you or a family member needs assistance due to abuse, please contact the Child Advocacy Center.

The Child Advocacy Center of Anderson County Tennessee is funded under an agreement with the State of Tennessee and through public and private contributions including the UWAC.